Mittens Romney a True 1 Percenter?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There is a lot of focus on the Storm’in Mormon Mittens Romney’s finances, as he gets ready to publicly release his tax return information. Armed with his tax return statements, Romney’s rivals will likely label him as the top 1% of income earners to appeal to the anti wealth and exuberance sentiments of the now frozen Occupation Movement. While this is going on, I would like to point out who the first true 1 Percenters are, American Bikers. These Americans, once persecuted for their explicative antics, now embraced their titles and literally where them as a badge of honor. Perhaps, so to should top paid CEO’s.

The 1%er title came from the 1947 biker riot in Hollister California where a biker gang took over the town, stormed bars and brothels, and pillaged everything in sight like a marauderous gang of modern-day Vikings. This event, which inspired the movie “The Wild One” with Brando, lead the American Motorcycle Association to issue a statement claiming that 99% of motorcyclist are good citizens and that the other 1% is a criminal element that gives them all a bad reputation. Today the American Motorcycle Association claims no such statement was ever made publicly, however that has not stopped biker gangs coast to coast from proudly displaying their rightfully earned “1%er” patches.  To a professional criminal badass biker there is no greater honor then being labeled with this elite title by the very authorities that they rebel against.

This is a tactic I propose Mittens and other CEOs adopt for three reasons: First, he has been promoting his Business acumen as the cornerstone of his campaign for president. He should promote his accumulated wealth as a testament to his abilities as a leader and businessman.  Second, the republican dogma of tax policy promote the low tax rate he enjoys; if he does not defend his own tax benefits it will show that he has no guts to fight for what his party stands for. Third, while he may not have been the greatest CEO in the world, he was far from the worst and his companies did grow and earn profit. Therefore, he earned the money legally and that is what drives the global capitalist economy. The new 1%ers earn such exuberate wages because of globalization and the need to compete against businesses around the globe. For companies to find a man that can lead company and compete against all the other companies in the world requires exuberant incentives.

 The New York Times “Romney’s Dough”

The Economist ” CEO’s Pay”

Published by

Dick Sharpe

Dick Sharpe is among that rare breed of men who crawled their way out of the gutter and in to the academic and political elite. Despite this accomplishment, Dick retains his sharpe wit and sense of low-brow humor that makes him such a great contributor to Step Aside Show Blog and Podcast. Although Dick is a wicked charmer, whose sexual exploits are still the talk of Yale, Columbia, and a small town in a northern border province of Iraq, he is also a domesticated man living with with two handsome yet annoying sons and his wicked hot but equally annoying wife in Seattle. Dick is an accomplished academic writer, an award-winning poet and a self-proclaimed wordsmith, a battle-tested Combat Officer of the US Army, as well as a world-renowned alcoholic. Working mostly in the public sector, Dick continues to use his unique set of skills to better the life of his fellow compatriots. Mr. Sharpe’s ideological beliefs are a bit at odds within themselves at times he is strong believer in social programs and liberal rights while at the same time a strong believer in neo-liberal economic policies and the power of the free market to shape the political landscape. Put simple Dick Sharpe is the kind of man men wish they could be, and women wish they can be with, but the truth is they can’t because there is only room enough for one Dick Sharpe in the World.